Home

Monday, July 29, 2013

Summer Thanks

My goodness time sure does fly by. It's been a little over two months since I made a card and posted anything to my blog. I'm not even sure anyone will stop by since I've been out of the stamping loop, but I'm going to post my card anyway.

As some of you know, I've been diagnosed with cancer (liver and brain), so I've been pretty busy dealing with all the wonderful events related to my care and treatment. I'm giving it my best fight and trying to remain positive and lean on my faith in God. I've also had so much wonderful support from family and friends that has touched me deeply. Thank you to all of you! I love you so much.

Before I move onto my card, I would like to especially thank our good friend, Clair, who recently ran in a Relay for Life race that my other good friend, Jane, organized and dedicated to me. Here's Clair wearing a special shirt he had made.  What a guy!!

Photo: I ran the Portland Mi. 'Relay for life' half marathon In Honor of Charlene Merrick Sunday

Okay, so onto my card.  Since I was feeling especially good today and had some available time,  I decided to participate in the technique challenge over at Splitcoaststampers. We were to choose one of the first 50 technique challenges posted. I chose #9 - Crayon Resist - as it was one of my favorite techniques when I first began stamping.  This is a very simple technique.  I stamped my image onto Glossy White cardstock (you can also use Stampin' Up's Whisper White) and then used a white crayon to draw my lines/dots around the flowers and stems.  The last step is to sponge ink over your image, wiping away the excess ink to reveal the white crayon resist.



I've been itching to use some new Stampin' Up goodies I ordered a while back.  The new in colors are so pretty that I just had to have them.  Here's a list of the supplies I used in my design:

Stamps:  Summer Silhouettes, Thank You Kindly 
Paper:  Whisper White, Glossy White, Strawberry Slush, Crisp Cantaloupe
Ink:  Memento Black; Stampin' Up Strawberry Slush, Crisp Cantaloupe, Pistachio Pudding
Accessories:  Labels 9 Nestabilities, paper piercer, corner punch, white pearls, dimensionals, white crayon, sponges


If you did stop by, thanks and let me know that you did.  I hope you're having a grand day.
 
 

18 comments:

Vi said...

Such a pretty and uplifting card! made my day posting this one! Thank YOU!!!! Keep up the good fight and know you are in our prayers all the way here in Central Australia!
God be with you.
Vi

craftymom205 said...

Love your card. I understand how your family feels right now. My husband is being treated for prostate cancer. I will keep you in my prayers.

craftymom205 at yahoo dot com

ChristineZ said...

Love your card, Charlene! Please know that you are in my prayers down here in Kentucky. Sending you hugs!

Christine

Lorraine said...

What a beautiful card. It looks like the sun is illuminating those flowers. Great technique. I'm keeping you in my prayers.

Stef H said...

i didn't know. i'm so, so sorry to hear this and i'll be keeping you in my prayers for sure!

on the bright side, it has not affected your creativity. your card is gorgeous... as always.

hugs :)

Benzi said...

Charlene, it is so good to see you post. You've made a beautiful card and used a wonderful technique...one I've never tried.

I love your spirit. You are such an encouragement to all. Sending big hugs.

Katie Sims said...

Charlene, it is so good to see this lovely creation. I have admired your beautiful work on SCS for quite a while. My heart goes out to you and your family and you all will be in my prayers. I am so thankful that you had some time and energy to do what you do so well...create beauty and inspire others....thank you so much for sharing it with us! ~Katie

MattsGirl on SCS

Vicki Dutcher said...

Charlene - your card is fabulous!! How nice of your friends to show you such support -- that is wonderful.

Sending my prayers and cyber hug!

bensarmom said...

Charlene, your blog post with your gorgeous card made my day. I love this technique but haven't done it in a long, long time. I've missed your posts but know that God is working all of of this. You are an amazing lady! What a fantastic group of friends and family you have. You are loved there and here in blogland.

Loll said...

Hi Charlene. I love your card. The colors are so beautiful and the crayon resist technique is perfect. This is something I haven't tried, so thank you for inspiring me.

I think about you often and am so happy to see that you were feeling well enough to make a card and post. Creating something beautiful from paper and ink is very therapeutic and uplifting.

You have such a wonderful group of friends and thank you for sharing the picture of Clair with his special T-shirt. Take care. Loll xx

Julia Aston said...

Hi Charlene! SO happy to see you stamping up a card and posting! I love the piercing around the edges, the lovely colors and fun technique!

Thinking of you always - and praying that you are feeling well and that the doctors are helping you!

How wonderful for your friends to show their support in this way!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Hi Charlene, I am thrilled that you shared this beautiful card with us. Gorgeous job on this technique and the vibrant colors are fantastic.

Keep up the fight! I am thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers!

Lynn McAuley said...

What a thrill to see your gorgeous work gracing the gallery at SCS this week, Charlene. You are loved and missed.

Know that you and your family are in my every prayer during this difficult struggle. Sending love and hugs.

Stamping With Bibiana said...

Finally… I can come and visit you …and i agree with you those colors are so pretty
Thanks for sharing
Keep in touch
Bibiana

Debzi333 said...

Hi Charlene! What a beautiful card and great to see you posting!I'm going to have to get out and get a white crayon - such a beautiful effect.

It was just very recently I became aware of your health challenges.

Know that I am thinking and praying for you. Big hugs

Deborah

Pat Jandacek said...

Hi, Charlene - I just happened to revisit you in search for directions for the pinwheel card you had shared with us in 2011, I think it was. So sorry to hear of your illness but thrilled for you that you are still inspiring us all with beautiful works of art. TFS and I wish you a full recovery.

Sabrina said...

My new blog reader has had a couple of teething problems and I'm just catching up on some posts now. So lovely to see that you felt like making a card and felt well enough to enjoy it. I hope it's just the first of more. DH will be glad to hear it too - he often asks how you are doing.
Hugs

Joanne (jojot) said...

you are a fabulous technique queen.....loving this pink beauty with the crayon technique.....and....how special and supportive your many friends are of your fight .....you are always in my thoughts and prayers, DB